Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
This Instant Pot Asparagus soup can be served hot or chilled, so it’s good all year round. If you’ve never tried a chilled soup, you’ll be surprised how good it is. Serve with garden fresh salad, and some crusty baguette, it’s all you need on a hot summer day. Once you’ve tried this you will never go back to the canned stuff, this is just so much better.
And did I mention that it’s Keto friendly? and can be made vegetarian by just using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. This soup is a Triple Threat! Instant Pot, Keto & Delicious. Pin it now to make later
How to make Asparagus Soup in the Instant Pot
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to make this Instant Pot Asparagus Soup. It really takes only a few minutes of prep time, and the Instant Pot takes care of the rest. While it’s cooking, make your salad and slice your baguette. Dinner will be ready in no time.
Add your stock, and then set it and forget it! Once the cook time is up you just have to blend the mixture until smooth and add the cream. That’s IT!!
Can I use frozen asparagus?
You definitely can, and while it will impact the flavour a little, it’s still delicious. I do however not recommend using canned asparagus. The flavour is different, and the colour won’t be as nice. Honestly, if you don’t have fresh or frozen, you’re better off making a different recipe. You want me to be honest right?
Is Asparagus Soup Keto friendly?
Asparagus are considered to be one of the better vegetables to eat while on a Keto diet. One cup (180 grams) of cooked asparagus contains 8 grams of carbs, 4 of which are fiber. It’s also a good source of vitamins A, C and K (9).
If you substitute Olive oil for the butter in the recipe, the Instant Pot Asparagus Soup is Keto compliant. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Asparagus Soup
- 2 unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs. asparagus tough ends removed and cut into chunks
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add butter once hot. Add onion and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions develop a bit of color and soften, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot, gently scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Turn unit off.
- Add asparagus and bay leaf, and stir to combine. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 5 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and discard bay leaf.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Carefully transfer asparagus mixture to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until smooth. To serve, transfer hot or chilled soup to individual bowls and garnish with a few drops of heavy cream and a couple reserved asparagus tips, if desired.
If you’re looking for a delicious Instant Pot Soup to make, I have many to choose from! I make a batch of soup every week, 52 a year, so I’m sure I’ve got something you will like.
Want more great recipes?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca