Holiday cooking is one of my favourite things to plan for, so many family favourite recipes to make, and the opportunity to try some new ones too, as I’m generally feeding 12-16 people.
This year I put my Instant Pot to work for me, I used it on Thanksgiving (which is in October in Canada), and had some great successes. This Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole takes a classic recipe and turns it into a set it and forget it recipe that takes only 15 minutes TOTAL to prepare. How awesome is that? I chose to make this one earlier in the day, place it in the casserole dish and then place it back in the oven while the Turkey was resting and it worked out perfectly.
Having one of the many sides dishes completed ahead of time allowed me to use the Instant Pot to make my mashed potatoes at the last minute, and then leave them on the warm setting throughout the meal. GENIUS.
I have always been know to make really good mashed potatoes, (lots of butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper and roasted garlic) but Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes make them next level. Because the potatoes effectively steam rather than boil, they absorb less water, but are super soft and easy to mash to an incredible silky smooth texture. More on these potatoes later.
Back to the Green Bean Casserole, the most time consuming part it trimming the green beans however you can do that while the bacon cooks, so it’s about 10 minutes of total prep time
If you are new to Instant Pot Cooking and are looking for a good solid reference guide with recipes that work, this is a good place to start. It’s from the official Instant Pot Company Please note these are Affiliate Links and I will earn a couple pennies if you decide to make a purchase.
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- 8 pcs bacon
- 6 cups fresh green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz each
- 1 1/2 C French's fried onions
- 1/3 C whole milk
- 1/2 yellow onion
- Dice both the uncooked bacon and onion.
- Prep the inside of your Instant Pot by spraying the inside of the instant pot with nonstick spray.
- Add the bacon and onion to the instant pot.
- Set it to saute'.
- Continue to cook the bacon until it is lightly browned and the onions is translucent.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the milk and soup.
- Add the green beans to the instant pot.
- Slowly pour the milk/ soup combination on top of the green beans.
- Stir the green beans until they are coated with the milk/soup mixture.
- Set the instant pot to manual, low pressure for 5 minutes*
- Once it has completed cooking quick release.
- Add half of the fried onions to the green bean mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Scoop the green bean casserole into a baking dish.
- Turn your oven to broil on low.
- Sprinkle the remaining of the fried onions on top of the casserole.
- Broil for 5 minutes to brown the crispy onions.
- Firm Crunchy Texture; Low Pressure 0 Minutes
- Soft Bean but still Firm; low Pressure 2 minutes
- Soft Bean but not mushy; low Pressure 5 Minutes