Okay, put the phone down! No need for delivery! Not when you’ve found this recipe, I promise. Make this Orange Chicken made in the Instant Pot, it takes just 30 minutes and it’s so good, I guarantee it will quickly become a family favourite and definitely a dish that you make often.
Sticky, Sweet, Spicy, Citrusy, rich, decadent…. and I’m not talking about dessert! Instant Pot Orange Chicken is amazing. Just LOOK at this delicious sauce, you know it’s going to be good.
Round out your meal with steamed broccoli, rice, and some spring rolls, just the frozen kind you get from the grocery store keeping this a nice and easy meal to prepare without sacrificing flavour or variety. While, I adore homemade Spring Rolls, that’s for a night and another blog post.
Oh and a quick tip… if you like to use your Instant Pot for Savoury and Sweet dishes you might find that having extra silicone rings on hand is a good thing.
Silicone sealing rings for the Instant Pot can retain flavours/scent of some of the items you cook, for that reason, I like to have one for main dishes, and one for desserts, plus a spare, because CAN YOU IMAGINE if it broke and you couldn’t use your IP? yikes! I also highly recommend having designated colours for Savoury dishes and Desserts, it keeps things simple. This is an affiliate link, and I will earn a couple of cents if you click through and make a purchase.
If you’ve never had Orange Chicken and are wondering if you’ll like it, it’s similar in many ways to the ever popular General Tso’s chicken, but it’s less tangy and spicy which makes it super kid friendly. You don’t want to miss trying this recipe… You’re going to want to PIN it now, and why not follow my Pinterest Boards or Join my new Pinterest Instant Pot Community
Join our Facebook Group; Love on a Plate where we share recipes, ask questions, learn new techniques, and have LIVE video’s of meal preps. It’s lots of fun and we’d love to see you there.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken; skip the take-out
- 2 lbs chicken breast cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup 100% pure orange juice
- 1 tbsp. ginger grated
- 3 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. rice wine
- 2 tbsp. orange marmalade
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 4 green onions sliced
- Orange zest
- Prep your chicken by cutting into 1-2 inch chunks. Place the chicken on a plate covered with a paper towel. This allows the moisture to drain from the chicken. It is important for the chicken not to have any extra moisture. Once the chicken is dry add the chunks into a large ziploc bag.
- Add your beaten egg and shake to combine. Use your hands to coat the chicken with the egg.
- Now add the flour to the bag and seal. Shake to combine. Set to the side.
- Heat up your pressure cooker, press Sauté. Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT, add the oil to the hot Instant Pot. Once the oil begins to bubble add the chicken. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, making sure to stir a few times. Cook until it just starts to get golden. Once cooked remove your chicken and set to the side.
- Deglaze the Instant pot with 1/4 cup orange juice and scrape them with a spatula. Place the chicken back into the Instant pot, add 3/4 cups of orange juice, minced garlic, ginger, soy sauce, white sugar, brown sugar, tomato sauce, orange marmalade, and rice wine, pour all over the chicken.
- Stir gently until all the ingredients are combined and coated in sauce. Close lid, select Manual, and set the clock to 5 minutes on High Pressure. Make sure the vent is closed. Use a 10 minute Natural Release.
- Turn off the heat. Release the remaining pressure by opening the vent.
- Select the Sauté function, on LOW. In a small bowl add the cornstarch, and orange juice.
- Whisk until all combined with no visible lumps. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook on Sauté function for a few more minutes, stirring gently, until the sauce thickens. Turn the Instant pot off. Allow to sit for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve over white rice. Garnish with green onions and orange zest.