Nacho Hot Dogs
Hot dogs, love them or hate them, most people find themselves eating them at some point! These Nacho Hot Dogs require a little prep, but the results are so worth it. You can of course modify the toppings on these Nacho Hot Dogs to suit your families preferences. For me the trick to having them taste really good depends on a few factors and as always coming up with a twist on the usual.
- Buy GOOD quality hot dogs & buns
- Preparation; grilled or fried for me, then steamed or boiled. Never microwaved
- Toppings, this makes or breaks a hot dog!
The list of toppings that work with hot dogs is really limitless, you can go with traditional toppings, or go for ethnic, exotic and themed toppings.
Basic & Beyond toppings can include:
- Ketchup, Mustard, relish, Mayo, BBQ Sauce
- Chopped onions, jalapenos, sliced pickles
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded or sliced cheese
- Cooked bacon, slices or crumbles
- Sliced banana peppers
Exotic Toppings can include:
- Crispy fried onions, Crushed Dorito’s or Tortilla chips
- Salsa, Pico De Gallo, Candied Jalapeno
- Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw, Pineapple Coleslaw
- Corn Salsa, Mango Salsa,
- Blue Cheese Crumbles, Queso Cheese, Cotija Cheese, Feta Cheese
- Sliced green or black olives, Kalamato Olives
- Caramelized onions
- Sundried Tomatoes, chopped pineapple
- Coney Island Sauce
Really if you think of the foods you love 0n a burger or sandwich, many of them work on a hot dog! Make a “hot dog bar”, grill up some good Hot Dogs, and put out the buns. Let everyone create their own combo’s. Serve with some fries, a salad, mac n cheese or baked beans, and you’ve got a fun budget friendly meal that’s kicken up a notch.
- 6 all-beef spicy or Jalapeno' hot dogs
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Pepper jack cheese
- 4 Vienna rolls
- 2 tbsp. tomatillo sauce
- 4 tbsp. salsa
- 1 jalapeno seed removed and diced
- 1/4 cup diced mangos
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced avocados
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 oz tortilla chips crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 350' degrees.
- Fill a medium sauce pan with water and heat on high.
- Add the spicy dogs and cook until done about 10 minutes.
- Remove the center of the bun to hold the hot dog.
- Add the hot dog to the bun.
- Sprinkle cheese liberally on each hot dog.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the buns is warm.
- Top each dog with half of the crushed chips, tomatoes, jajapenos, mangoes, and onions.
- Drizzle with the tomatillo sauce and salsa.
- Garnish with cilantro, and avocado. ENJOY!
If you don’t think you can get your kids to try these Nacho Dogs (though they should), I guarantee they will like the Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs. I like that I can prep these ahead and then just bake them. Time saver for a busy night, and great for serving a crowd.
Grab the recipe for Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs here and add them to your meal plan to make soon!
WANT MORE GREAT RECIPES?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca