Taco Tuesday with a twist
I love my Instant Pot, and these Tex Mex Burrito Bowls are always popular when I make them for Taco Tuesday. It’s a fast, easy, budget friendly meal that makes a big batch, that often shows up on my weekly meal plans. I’m always happy when recipes can be made ahead.
If you have fussy eaters, preparing recipes like bowls where everyone can add their own toppings avoids dinner time frustrations, wasted food, and honestly it’s a great way to handle picky eaters if you have those.
Of course if you haven’t had time to Meal Plan and prep, you can still have this fabulous dinner on the table in 30 minutes. It uses ingredients that most of us have on hand, and takes very little time to prep. Admit it, we all need these kinds of recipes! I sure do.
While you don’t need to meal prep for making the actual Tex Mex Burrito Bowls themselves, what you can do is prep some great lunches or freezer meals from the leftovers. I specifically make Intentional Leftovers so that I can do this.
Can I freeze Tex Mex Burrito Bowls?
Honestly, not really. Rice prepared in the Instant Pot is already quite soft, and then if you freeze it and re-heat it, the texture can get mushy pretty quickly. The good news is that you will definitely be able to have it for dinner one day, have leftovers for lunches or make a second dinner for later in the week. I usually make burrito’s, and serve with a nice fresh salad, or my Grilled Corn Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing.
What to do with leftover Tex Mex Burrito Bowls
- Serve with Nacho Chips and assorted toppings
- Use as a Burrito or Enchilada filling
- Serve on top of mixed salad greens
- Layer with re-fried beans, on a Tostada Shell
New to the Instant Pot? Watch this Quick Cook Video to see this recipe prepared step by step.
Tex Mex Burrito Bowls
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 1/2 cupa long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Chopped tomatoes, cilantro, onions, guacamole, black olives, jalapeno peppers
- Set Instant Pot to Saute function, on normal. Pour in the olive oil, let heat 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken,diced peppers, chili powder and cumin and cook until chicken is lightly seared.
- Next add in the beans, corn, diced peppers and stir well.
- Now layer, in the following order without stirring; chicken broth, salsa, rice. Spread rice out so that it is all just covered with liquid. DO NOT STIR.
- Close and lock the lid. Cancel the Saute setting and set to High Pressure Cook for 4 minutes. Do a NPR for 6 minutes. Slowly open the vent to release the remaining steam.
- Gently stir everything together, fluffing rice as you go. Divide between bowls and top with optional toppings of your choice.
Do you find yourself asking “What’s for Dinner”? We have the Answer! 30 Day Meal Planning Challenge which uses my unique Pick and Choose Meal Planning system. With the printable inspiration sheet, you aren’t committed to specific recipes. Instead you get prompts that help you stay inspired to keep Meal Planning.
Pick and Choose from categories, and use our recommended recipes along with your own.
Join our Love on a Plate Facebook community to make sure you never miss out on any of the new recipes. Watch our Quick Cook Videos, get Meal Planning Tips, and fabulous recipes you’re going to love. Prefer YouTube? We have a channel!