When it’s too hot to eat, make this Chick Pea Salad….
You know when you’re a week into record breaking hot days, and you simply don’t even want to turn on the grill? I make this Chick Pea Salad.
I love that it’s filling, and fast to make, and full of flavour, and flexible. Phew… that’s a lot of love. But no honestly, I always have enough ingredients on hand to make this for dinner. Basic Pantry and fridge staples, that are economical, seasonal, and easy to prepare.
Can I substitute something for the red peppers?
Remember when I said this was a flexible recipe? It truly is. The only things I would say you can’t substitute or leave out is the Chick Peas, cuz, well, it IS Chickpea Salad
Basic salad recipes include:
- Cooked Chick Peas, canned or pressure cooked
- English cucumber
- Sweet Red Bell Pepper
- Feta Cheese
Substitutions and add in options:
You can basically leave out any ingredient that you don’t like. You can even substitute vinaigrette dressing for the mayo. Here are some changes and additions I have tried and recommend
Salad Add Ins:
- Sliced olives, Kalamata, or any black olive
- Tomatoes; halved cherry tomatoes, diced Roma or oil packed Sun Dried
- Diced avocado
- Grilled chicken; diced
- Grilled shrimp
Substitutions for dill:
- Italian Parsley, chopped
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Fresh Oregano
Now, are you ready to make a delicious salad? Let’s go.
Chickpea Feta Salad
- 18 oz canned chick peas rinsed and drained
- 1 whole English cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 whole sweet red pepper seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Stir well to combine. Check for seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Place salad in the fridge for at least 20 minute to allow flavors to meld. Can be made ahead up to 2 days. Mix well before serving.