Classic Sugar Cookies for Christmas cookie exchanges and platters are a must make. Use an assortment of different coloured sanding sugars to make them really festive! You can bake these ahead of time and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or make them today and freeze them. Simply remove from the freezer a few hours before you need them, and voila! Pretty, tasty, easy cookies for the holidays.
These Classic Sugar Cookies are also an excellent option to make with kids of all ages. Simply make the dough ahead of time and have them join you for the fun part of rolling in the assorted sugars.
If you are interested in getting more great seasonal recipes, join us on our Facebook Community Group.We share recipes, Live stream Quick Cook videos and so much more!
If you love to bake, or have someone on your holiday list that is an avid baker, I’ve put together a great list of interesting gifts for the Home Baker. Check out the post here… Great Gifts for the Home Baker!
Classic Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 C flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 container of Christmas sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookies sheets with parchment paper. Set aside
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until combined
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined
- Mix in the vanilla until combined
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tarter until combined
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the wet
- Mix until combined
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop out dough and roll into a ball
- Set aside onto the cookie sheet
- Repeat step until all dough is molded into balls
- Pour the sanding sugar into a large bowl
- Roll each dough ball into the sanding sugar and place back onto the cookie sheets about 2-3 inches apart from each other.
- Once all dough balls have been coated into the sanding sugar, using the palm of your hand, lightly push down the dough balls into thick disk
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned
- The cookies will slightly be under cooked
- Allow cookies to cool completely before enjoying with a large glass of milk!