General Tso’s Chicken;
Take out Fake Out
This recipe solves 2 common Meal Planning problems; What to have for dinner and cravings for your favorite take out meals. When it comes to take out, Chinese Food is one our family often craves, but with this fabulous General Tso’s Chicken, there’s no need to call for delivery.
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Prepare rice according to directions
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and coat with cornstarch
- Once the oil is warm, add the chicken and cook until done, turning occasionally
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sauce ingredients
- After the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack to let oil drip off
- Drain the oil (except for about 1 tablespoon) and add the cayenne pepper, garlic, and ginger
- Cook for about 30 seconds then add the diced red pepper 9. Once the pepper has softened slightly, add the chicken and sauce to the pan, stirring to coat 10. Serve chicken warm over rice and garnish with sesame seeds
If you have a little extra time, or are serving a crowd, you will want to check out my selection of Chinese Food recipes, and skip the delivery!
WANT MORE GREAT RECIPES?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
Need help with Meal Planning?
Trying to decide what’s for dinner? Need inspiration for your weekly Meal Planning Menu? Use our Meal Planning Inspiration sheet to help keep meal time interesting.
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca