We love a good grilled flank steak at our house during the hot days of Summer. This cut of beef cooks quickly, and absorbs the flavours of your marinades really well. Normally for full flavour you need to marinate overnight, but this recipe has really bold flavours so you can get away with as little as an hour if you absolutely must, and still have a delicious, tender steak. Of course you can also use this marinade when you are meal prepping; meat frozen with a marinade is always so tender and flavourful and is a breeze to add to your weekly meal plan rotation, the flavour profiled are limitless. The Meal Prepping program I use personally every week is called 5 Dinners in 1 Hour, and they have many Flank Steak recipes that I’ve made and enjoyed, this recipe would be an easy alternate.
Although Flank Steak is best served medium rare to rare, the nice thing about it is that because of the shape, there will always be some parts that are more well done, which for our family works out well. I’ve got 2 out of 6 who really prefer all beef more well done.
One of my favourite ways to serve Flank Steak is on top of a good salad. It makes for a filling, healthy dinner that isn’t overly complicated to make, especially now that my husband has perfected Grilling. You can use any combination of Salad Greens that you like, I prefer to use a mixture of spring mix which includes baby spinach and will wilt just enough to be tender from the heat of the slices of flank steak when they are placed on top.
This marinade stands up on it’s own, and you could use no salad dressing if you wanted, or try an Asian Vinaigrette for an even bigger punch of Sesame and Ginger. A sprinkle of Roasted Sesame seeds adds a nice little pop of texture.
If you enjoy this recipe, please post a comment or join our Love on a Plate Facebook Group and let us know what you thought!
Soy Ginger Sesame Flank Steak
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 Tbsp roasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice fresh
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and lime juice, set aside.
- Place flank steak in a baking dish big enough to hold the flank steal flat; I recommend a 9x13 Pyrex dish with a lid.
- Chop red onion and green onions, sprinkle over top of flank steak. Rinse Cilantro well, shake dry and coarsely chop. Sprinkle on top of flank steak.
- Whisk together the marinade and pour over flank steak. It should just cover all the meat. Let marinate 4 hours, overnight it best, and 1 hour will do.
- Remove flank steak from marinade, grill on high temperature for 4 minutes per side to sear, then an additional 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness. You don't want to cook this past 160F or it will be overcooked and tough. Flank Steak is best served rare and must be cut against the grain.