One Skillet Tamale Bake, a hearty vegetarian side dish that can be served as a complete meal or a side dish. Cooked in One Skillet from start to finish, it’s ease of preparation makes this a good option for a busy weeknight meal and the leftovers reheat really well.
We really enjoy Tex Mex meals and dishes like Taco’s, Burrito’s, Tex Mex Bowls, show up weekly on our table. Before inventing this side dish recipe, I often wondered how to round out the meal without too much additional work. Fiesta Rice was my normal go to choice, however I wanted something different and this One Skillet Tamale Bake is the solution.
You can serve this with any of the traditional Taco topping options, grated cheese, chopped onions, diced tomato, pickled or fresh Jalapenos, the sky is the limit. I do high recommend taking an extra FIVE minutes while the One S
killet Tamale Bake is cooking to make my Garlic Lime Crema, it elevates your basic sour cream to OMG status and it’s so easy.
If you don’t have a Cast Iron Skillet, you can transfer the filling to a 9X13 Pyrex dish first and bake however, I highly recommend having at least ONE Cast Iron Skillet as part of your basic Kitchen equipment. They can cook anything from a beautifully seared steak, crispy bacon, cornbread, cakes, frittata’s, they are really very versatile and I use mine often.
You will find throughout this post a few links to products that I recommend. These are part of the Amazon Affiliate program and I will earn some coffee money if you decide to make a purchase. We thank you for supporting Love on a Plate and keeping us fueled with caffeine.
If you want more great recipes join our Facebook Group; Love on a Plate.
We share lots of QUICK COOK LIVE videos, exclusive recipes, Meal Prepping Session, and so much more, it’s a great resource. Here’s the Quick Cook LIVE for the One Skillet Tamale Bake
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup salsa mild or medium
- 1 large can 28 oz diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 1/4 red lentils optional
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup 180 grams cornmeal
- 1 cup 140 grams flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large Cast Iron skillet, over medium heat, add the oil and onion, saute until softened about 2-3 minutes, add the garlic and fry until fragrant. Stir in the bell peppers and saute about 2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the chili powder and cumin, and stir. Add the salsa, diced tomatoes,beans, lentils and corn and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes while you prepare the cornbread batter.
- In a bowl mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the oil and milk and mix. It should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the corn/black bean mixture, then pour the cornbread mixture over top to cover.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.